Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Today's Lesson.

Awhile back, I drew up a list of some general guidelines for anyone who felt like calling into Expressway To Yr Skull with requests, because I got kind of tired of having to explain things like why I didn't really want to play Hatebreed on the show. One area that I feel is still being neglected is "Requesting Things That Are Musically Awesome & Fun To Say On The Radio", because let's face it - while I'm going to be very happy if you call in to request Unwound, it's not as much fun to say that I just played Unwound as it is to find an FCC-compliant way of saying that I just played something from Fuck CDs, We're the Mummies!.

Review my suggestions from last time:
Pissed Jeans. Whether or not "Pissed" in this context is technically FCC-approved can be debated, but I haven't been losing too much sleep over it.
Solar Anus. Japanese bands are particularly good at coming up with radio gold.

Now, the intermediate course:
Anything from Yo La Tengo's I Am Not Afraid of You & I Will Beat Your Ass album. This should be fairly obvious, because who doesn't enjoy telling people that you're going to beat their ass? Plus we love Yo La Tengo.
Palace Music - "You Have Cum In Your Hair & Your Dick Is Hanging Out". Unfortunately we can't get away with playing a Will Oldham song where he talks about fucking a mountain or something, but believe it or not, there is nary a trace of FCC no-no's in the actual content of this song & the song title provides amazing possibilities for dodging obscenity accusations.
Out Hud's Street Dad album, in general. Pretty much every song on this winner: "Dad, There's A Little Phrase Called Too Much Information", "The L Train Is A Swell Train & I Don't Want To Hear You Indies Complain", "My Two Nads (Dad Reprise)". Proof that the request in question doesn't have to include swears for it to qualify under these guidelines, although the swears definitely don't hurt.

That's just a sampling. Next time, we'll move on to the advanced course.

No comments: